BIRDER

BIRDER

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Lake Gilles Conservation Park

A weekend at Lake Gilles Conservation Park is always a good thing! A combinaton of mallee eucalyptus woodland, samphire, western birds, seclusion and perfect weather is fantastic!












This park provides a variety of habitats but I spent most of my time on the western side of the park towards the lake itself (which is still dry).












As I explored some old growth Mallee I stumbled across a pair of Western Yellow Robin. Always a treat! Over the weekend I came across 8 of these lovely birds and they were happy to pose for photos.














Saturday afternoon I drove into to Kimba which is only about 15 km away. As I got close to the town I I noticed a Galah sitting quietly on the side of the road up ahead.....


There was something different about this Galah,  it just didnt seem right somehow, so I pulled over.


I grabbed my camera and carefully opened the car door.






I gingerly climbed out........    It did not move.....








I walked a few steps towards it.......





still it did not move......





As I got closer I realised it really was much larger than I expected!







I took this photo......


























This morning I was up before dawn. A thick fog remained until about 7.30am while Australian Ravens, White-winged Chough, Currawongs, Crested Bellbirds, Striated Pardalotes, Weebills, White-eared Honeyeater, White-faced Honeyeater, Golden Whistlers, Singing and Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters all joined in the dawn chorus this morning.

A great weekend escape Lake Gilles really is worth a visit.