BIRDER

BIRDER

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Birding in the Southern Flinders Ranges

This weekend I decided to head north to try and photograph a bird that although I've seen a few times I've never managed a photo.

The Southern Flinders are easily accessed being only 4 hours from Adelaide.

A hike into a gorge this morning was rewarded with ongoing views of Grey-fronted Honeyeaters. I could hear them before I could see them. Being canopy dwellers and with poor light in the gorge I knew photography would be a challenge, but a few photos, even if grainy, are better than no photos!

Many of the gorges in this area are home to the endangered Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby. Sadly the feral goat population is out of control and today I say 7 goats and no rock wallabies. Very sad...






Grey-fronted Honeyeaters