BIRDER

BIRDER

Sunday, November 17, 2013

It's a bit Ruff


This weekend I headed to my local wetland to check on the arrival of the summer waders.

at 6am my friend Chris and I were walking along the track armed with our binoculars and cameras to see the first wader of the day  which turned out to be a Wood's Sandpiper. Very nice.

The second wader of the morning was found a few seconds later,  a Ruff! We enjoyed some time trying to photograph it in the early morning light. It was not bothered by out presence however it did not come in close and most of the time preferred feeding in the shade.

 

Ruff at sunrise



 
 

 
 






Sharp-tailed Sandpiper numbers are increasing.







Sharp-tailed Sandpiper


Purple Swamphen
 

Immature Willy Wagtail



Sharp-tailed Sandpiper


Sharp-tailed Sandpiper



I returned to the wetland in the late afternoon and at sunset the Ruff flew in closer. I only managed to take a few photos before it retreated back to a small island.





Ruff at sunset